Recap Courtesy Johnson & Wales Sports Information
Charlotte, NC - The Johnson & Wales Charlotte women's basketball team defeated Warren Wilson 59-51 in the Eastern Metro Athletic Conference quarterfinals on Tuesday night.
How It Happened:
- The two teams struggled in the first quarter, combining for 15 turnovers, while going just 7 of 33 from the field. JWU led 11-6 after the first ten minutes.
- The Wildcats opened the second stanza with an 11-4 run, opening up a 22-10 lead with three minutes to play in the half. They would eventually head to the locker room ahead 24-13.
- Jordan McDuffie scored nine straight points in the first minute of the third quarter as the JWU advantage ballooned to 19 points at 32-13.
- The Owls responded with a 24-7 spurt over the next nine minutes to trim the JWU lead to just two, 39-37 at the end of the third quarter.
- Warren Wilson scored the first four points of the fourth to lead for the first time in the game.
- The game remained a one possession spread either way until there was just over a minute left. Jordan Durant made a three-pointer and Jayla Lovett converted a steal into a layup to put JWU up by 5, 54-49.
- The Wildcats made five out of six free throws in the final 30 seconds to salt away the 59-51 win.
- JWU shot 29.6% for the game, the second lowest percentage in a win in school history.
- The teams each recorded 53 rebounds.
- Jordan McDuffie had 17 points and 13 rebounds.
- Jordan Durant came off the bench to score 14 points and grab 9 rebounds.
- Jayla Lovett had 12 points.
- JWU improves to 18-3 overall while Warren Wilson drops to 8-16.
The Wildcats travel to Clinton College for the EMAC semi-finals on Thursday, 2/24 at 6pm.