Posted: Feb 04, 2022
Recap Courtesy Johnson & Wales Sports Information
Charlotte, NC - The top ranked Johnson & Wales women's basketball team pulled away in the second half for a 62-42 win over Mid-Atlantic Christian on Friday afternoon.
How It Happened:
- The first quarter was a back and forth affair where neither team led by more than three points. A Leslie Hodges offensive rebound and subsequent layup gave JWU a 14-13 lead at the end of the quarter.
- MACU's Carrington Townes hit a three to open the second quarter, giving the Mustangs a two point advantage, but from there the second period played out much like the first, as neither team could gain separation.
- JWU could only manage three free throws over the final three minutes of the half, but that was good enough to give them a 30-26 lead at the break.
- The Wildcats got their offense going in the third quarter, sprinting out on a 12-3 run over the period's first four minutes to take a 41-29 lead.
- MACU went cold from the field, missing 16 of their final 20 field goal attempts in the game, and never got closer than 8 points from that point forward.
- Morgan Noil's layup with a minute to play gave the Wildcats their largest lead at 62-40.
- JWU held the Mustangs to 25.1% shooting for the game, including 17.2% in the second half.
- The Wildcats outrebounded MACU 56-43
- JWU converted 20 MACU turnovers into 22 points.
- Tanaeschia Dorsey led all scorers with 19 points. She also grabbed 7 rebounds.
- Jayla Lovett and Jordan McDuffie scored 12 points each, while combining for 13 rebounds.
- Joyiah White had 9 rebounds to lead JWU.
- MACU entered the game ranked #7 in USCAA Division I Women's Basketball, while the Wildcats are ranked #1 in USCAA Division II Women's Basketball.
- JWU improves to 12-2 overall and 4-0 in EMAC play while Mid-Atlantic Christain drops to 9-6 overall and 3-1 in EMAC play.