Recap Courtesy Johnson & Wales Sports Information
Elizabeth City, NC - The Johnson & Wales Charlotte men's basketball team moved to three games over .500 for the first time this season with a 79-68 win over Mid-Atlantic Christian on Saturday afternoon.
How It Happened:
- The game's first ten minutes were a back and forth affair that saw neither team lead by more than one possession until back-to-back Anthoney Ray buckets put JWU up 24-20 with 9:36 left in the half.
- Those two baskets were part of a 10-2 run that pushed the Wildcat lead to 8 at 30-22 with five and a half minutes left to play.
- MACU cut their deficit to as few as four, but the Wildcats finished the half with a 7-0 spurt that sent them to the locker room up eleven at 41-30.
- JWU was able to increase their lead to as many as 14 early in the second half and kept the Mustangs at arms length for much of the period.
- MACU cut the lead to seven with just over a minute left, but the Wildcats closed strong from there, winning 79-68.
- The free throw line was key, as the Wildcats had 10 more attempts and 10 more makes than did the Mustangs.
- JWU held Kevin Fletcher, the EMAC"s leading scorer to 18 points, 6 below his season average.
- Anthoney Ray had a game-high 24 points to go along with 8 rebounds, 4 assists, and 4 steals.
- Fred Patterson scored 20 points, grabbed 12 rebounds, and dished out 4 assists.
- Zyrion Wilkins came off the bench to score 11 points and pull down 5 rebounds.
- JWU improves to 13-10 overall and 8-1 in EMAC play while MACU drops to 3-14 overall and 1-7 in EMAC play.