Posted: Jan 19, 2022
Recap courtesy Johnson & Wales Sports Information
Charlotte, NC - The Johnson & Wales men's basketball team extended their win streak to three with an 80-74 win over Clinton College in JWU's EMAC home opener on Wednesday night.
How It Happened:
- The Wildcats made three of their first four field goal attempts in jumping out to a 7-2 lead.
- Clinton responded quickly as the game remained tight for much of the first half.
- Collin Irby's three pointer with 4:37 left in the period gave the Wildcats their largest lead of the half at 28-21.
- Cameron Shannon's dunk just before the halftime buzzer drew the Golden Bears to within three, 34-31 at the break.
- The game again remained close for the first five minutes of the second stanza before a 7-2 JWU run earned them a 53-41 advantage.
- JWU scored on consecutive possessions in the next minute and held on for the 80-74 win.
- The two teams were excellent at the free throw line with JWU going 20-26, while Clinton was 20-24
- The teams played to a stalemate on the glass, with each team recording 34 rebounds.
- Fred Patterson led the charge for JWU, scoring 20 points, grabbing 5 rebounds, and handing out 3 assists.
- Anthoney Ray had 15 points to go along with 2 rebounds, 2 assists, and 2 steals.
- Jaylen Benson-Hollinhead scored 14 points and grabbed 9 rebounds for the second consecutive game.
- JWU improves to 7-8 and 2-0 in EMAC play, while Clinton falls to 8-4 and 0-1 in the EMAC.